Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Positive Influence

So, after reading Mama Laughlin's criticism on the Internet about how working out makes her a bad parent (blah, blah, blah), I thought I'd talk about how working out can be a position influence on your kiddos. 

First off, I am an avid reader and follower of Mama Laughlin.  She actually inspired me to start my own blog.  Not that she even knows who I am and I'm pretty sure she doesn't follow me.  Anyways, you can read her entertaining blog- HERE.  She is a Mommy of two adorable boys, she just ran her first half marathon, and is great at inspiring people to get off the couch and get moving.  She is also pretty funny, which I enjoy as well. 

Any who, some haters found at this link --Get a life people!-- said that she didn't care for her children and is a bad parent, because she is more into losing weight and herself than taking care of them.

I have two children (one full-time, one part-time), and I work out at least 45 mins every day with no excuses.  I also actually have 3 jobs (One full time job that pays the big bucks and all of our bills in our home, I started a photography business about 6 months ago that is starting to pick up, and I just became a Beachbody coach/consultant).  Does that make me a bad parent too? 

There are some days I feel like I want and need more time with Brynn, BUT I have been overweight for 6 years now, and I am finally putting an end to it.  It's important to me, my family, and it DOES send a VERY positive message to your children. 

I would like to someday see my children have children and if I don't take care of myself now, that may not happen! 

Here are some fun facts:
  • Two out of three individuals are overweight in America
  • More than 1/3 of children or adolescents are overweight or obese
  • According to the national statistics, I live in the FATTEST city in America-Evansville, IN 
I'll be damned if I let me children go through the troubles of obesity or being overweight while growing up.  I've been there and it isn't fun! 

With my step-daughter, Samantha, I really don't have much say in what she eats and does.   She doesn't eat well (mainly mac and cheese, grilled cheese, hot dogs, and sugar, sugar, sugar).  She also doesn't seem to want to stick to any physical activity.  She started soccer and quit after one season, because she only wanted the participation trophy and just here recently she started karate for maybe 2 months and quit.  She is only 7 years old, and I try to remind myself that, but I just fear that her actions and eating habits will catch up to her some day.  I am hoping she will grow out of her picky eating phase.  If you don't feed her what she wants (the list of crap above), she just doesn't eat.  I've gotten to the point where I've given up with her eating habits, and so I just let Shawn feed her now.  Shawn is a horrible eater as well, and I somewhat feel like his influence hasn't helped. He'll side with her, WHICH IS WHY HE FEEDS HER NOW.  :)

With Brynn, so far she seems like she is going to be a really good eater.  She likes all the fruits and veggies I give her and she may make a face, but she will at least eat them.  At least I will have ONE person in the house to eat healthy food with me!!  :)

I have some photos to share that just proves that working out in front of your children can be a positive influence!!!    

This is Brynnie, she has one hell of a plank going on. 
She can actually do a better plank and hold it longer than I can. 
I'm jealous!  She's always trying to out do me.
It's no wonder that her tummy is shrinking faster than mine.  That over achiever! 


Here she is already picking up the resistance bands. 
LOL 
Hey, Mommy does it!   Why can't she?
I actually have two sets of bands.  I'll work on my Tone 30 from Turbo Fire, while she drools on this old set.


And lastly, Grandpa keeps working toward having her as his lil' golfer, so here she is with his golfing hat on.
I personally don't care for golfing, but if she's active then I'll be happy regardless.



Cute little stinker!  I swear, she's such a ham.  She instantly starts to smile when I pick up my camera phone.  

It's like -- SHE..... JUST.....  KNOWS!  :) 

I love my baby more than ANYTHING!!  If I ever felt like working out became a problem with her OR if I felt like I was "neglecting her", I would drop the time spent working out or lessen my time spent on my workouts. 

Typically, my hour of working out is her time with daddy.  So, she isn't neglected and for the most part she chills with her toys or in her activity center until either I am finished or if she gets upset, then daddy comes to the rescue and spends time with her.  

If I am at home working out with just her and I there and she just happens to get upset, then I stop my TF DVD and say, "Well, at least I got 20 mins in, or 30, or hell, even 15 mins is a step in the right direction."  

As parents, we all want what's best for our kiddos.  I think my biggest fear with doing Turbo Fire is that Brynn will grow up wanting to kick and punch other kids.  LOL 

BUT HEY, I know that exercising in front of her shows that:  A). Mommy cares about her body and her health, B). Mommy cares about being able to run around in the backyard and play with Brynnie  C). Mommy is being a position role model in hopes that Brynnie will some day care about her health and fitness.  D).  Mommy has hopes that through exercising in front of Brynnie that she will always be an active child and get involved in various activities.  

Thanks all!  :)  Happy Thursday everyone!   

I got your back Mama L!
        

5 comments:

  1. I had not seen that website, people can just be so dumb sometimes! I can't believe anyone would think taking care of YOURSELF would be a bad thing?? Her children are perfect, well cared for, and happy. I try to be healthy not just for me but to set a good example for my daughter too! Your cutie is adorable, I want to munch on those chubby rolls :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I actually read it about 3 weeks ago and it's sat in the back of my head just eating away at me. WE, as parents, are the ONLY ones that know what's actually going on in our homes and a Momma definitely knows when she needs more time with her kiddos. If I am not working out, working, or doing chores, I am with my daughter (playing, feeding, bathing, etc.), and I cherish every minute of it. P.S. I LOVE the pic of you and M in the field. I want one now of Brynn and I. It is BEAUTIFUL! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks girl! I love this post and agree so much. Unfortunately, having a blog opens you up to negativity-its just part of it. I know I'm doing a good thing so I try not to let it get to me.
    Thanks for having my back! You rock! And your Brynn's plank cracks me up! So precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a lot of followers, so apparently people feel like you are doing something right as well. Maybe some day I will get there too, since I just started blogging. Brynn does those planks ALL the time. It's so funny and adorable EVERY time. She's just showing off. :)

      Delete
  3. I love Mama Laughlin too! People are crazy, by taking care of yourself you are ensuring your babies have a healthy momma to play with them and care for them for years to come, not to mention the good habits you are teaching them! Silly people:(

    ReplyDelete